The School of Law 319
of Law. Among these were F. E. Parham, who received the degree of
Master of Arts from the College in 1895, and had been admitted to the
bar of the State of New York. He taught in the Summer School of
Law in 1903. Another already mentioned was Mr. J. G. Mills, who
received the degree of Master of Arts from the College in 1892, and
was admitted to the bar of the State by examination before the
Supreme Court in February, 1909, after a course in the Wake Forest
School of Law. He served, as already noted, in the summer of 1917.
In 1926 Donald Gulley was elected librarian of the library of the
School of Law, a position he held until June, 1942. In 1906 he
received the degree of Bachelor of Laws from Wake Forest College,
and had since practiced his profession at Sumter, South Carolina. His
assistant since September, 1933, has been Miss Valeria Fuller (Mrs.
Owensby). Before Mr. Gulley's appointment students had served as
assistants in the library; C. P. Weaver, 1900-03; E. J. Knott, 1915-16;
J. D. Canady, 1916-17; H. L. Koontz, 1917-18; W. H. Dickens, 1920-
21; C. B. Morgan, 1921-22; C. E. Bailey, 1923-24; J. C. Covington,
1924-25; W. C. Whitley, 1925-26.
EQUIPMENT
The equipment of the School of Law in the early years was very
meager. In the summer of 1894, a visitor found Professor Gulley
teaching his one student on a rustic bench in the Campus. The first
regular quarters of the School of Law, however, were the north end of
the Heck-Williams Building, a room forty feet by thirty feet, two-
thirds of which was set off by a partition for a classroom, while the
other third served as a library. In these narrow quarters the School of
Law remained until September, 1926, when it shared with the
department of Social Science the upper story of the newly-built
extension to the Heck-Williams Building. In 1934 the removal of the
Society Halls to the newly constructed Wait Hall left their former
halls available for expansion of the library of the School of Law. A
year later the department of Social Science found quarters in the
remodeled
Previous Page Next Page