322 History of Wake Forest College
with 1915-16, the names of student assistants appear in the catalogues
of the College. As told above, in 1926 Mr. Donald Gulley, a graduate
of the School with the degree of Bachelor of Laws in 1906, became
librarian; in 1933 Miss Valeria Fuller, now Mrs. Owensby, became
his assistant. The books were moved in 1926 the second story of the
central portion of the Heck-Williams Building, and in 1934-35 much
ampler space was provided by the addition of the former Society
Halls. In 1932 a great enlargement in books was made to conform to
the requirements of the Association of American Law Schools; more
books were added as rapidly as possible from year to year until the
law library, both in number of books (in 1941 more than 13,000), and
provisions for additions and service, is of standard excellence.
The School of Law had had a marked influence on the life and work
of the College in several particulars. The large number of law students
brought a new element into the life on the Campus. Provision for
them made necessary a modification and a liberalization of the
curriculum; while cultural, the courses in law were also practical, and
brought the students into the current of matters that directly and
profoundly concern the progress and development of life and thought
among the awakening people of North Carolina. Again, the presence
of so many students with interest in other subjects than the traditional
ones greatly stimulated the other students to thinking on social and
political problems.
The School of Law also instituted a new relationship between the
College and both the denomination and the general public. Soon
lawyers in a steady and growing stream were leaving Wake Forest
which eventually flowed to all parts of the State, and they carried with
them a culture that differed from that of the traditional lawyer and the
former Wake Forest graduate. Many of them had profited greatly
from the religious culture of the College and were trained in the work
of a Baptist church, its Sunday school and young people's societies,
its interests in missions and education, and had acquired an active
sympathy with the denomination. The result was that the churches in
the towns and cities in which they opened their offices often found
that they had valuable
Previous Page Next Page