324 History of Wake Forest College
On the resignation of Dr. N. Y. Gulley as dean of the School of
Law in June, 1935, the authorities of the College had much difficulty
in finding a proper successor. It was recognized that one period of the
School was ending, a period of marked success in ministering to the
needs of young men who desired the training that would best fit them
for the practice of law in North Carolina. Already for some years the
School had been changing to conform to the new standards of
instruction which were now national and no longer those of a state or
section. The desideratum in 1935 was to find a successor to Gulley
who could complete the change with the conservation of the qualities
that had made the School of Law of Wake Forest College of such
great value to the State and the denomination and the College.
It was only after some search that a man was found believed to be
well fitted for this arduous task at this period of transition. He was
Dale Foster Stansbury, B.S., LL.B., J.S.D., who for six years had been
professor of Law in Mercer University, Macon, Georgia. From
Valparaiso University of Indiana he had received the Bachelor of
Science degree in 1914, and that of Bachelor of Laws in 1917. For
several years afterwards, 1918-24 and again in 1928, he had been
Deputy Attorney General of Indiana. He had spent the year 1928-29
in Yale University, enjoying the Sterling Research Fellowship, and
from that institution in 1929 had received the degree of Doctor of
Juristic Science. For the past six years, 1929-35, he had been head of
the School of Law of Mercer University, and came highly
recommended by his success in the work there for the new position
and duties at Wake Forest. Having been born October 10, 1891, he
was now in the full prime and maturity of his physical and mental
On coming to Wake Forest in September, 1935, Dean Stansbury
found the School with an adequate though not sumptuous equipment.
It occupied the second story of the Heck-Williams Library
Previous Page Next Page