The School of Law 325
Building, which had good recitation rooms, an office for each
member of the Law faculty, and commodious quarters for the library
of more than eleven thousand volumes. All four members of the
former faculty, Gulley, Timberlake, White and Lake, remained, of all
of whom some account has already been given in the first part of this
chapter. One new instructor was now added. This was Walter H.
Coulson, who had received from Tulane University the degree of
Bachelor of Arts in 1931 and that of Bachelor of Laws in 1934. He
came to the College as assistant professor of Law in September, 1935.
He was unmarried, and socially popular.
Other changes in the faculty of the School of Law until the present
time may be noted here. Mr. Coulson remained only two years; on his
resignation in June, 1937, the Trustees chose as his successor
Brainerd Currie, who had received the degrees of Bachelor of Laws
and Bachelor of Arts from Mercer University, the former in 1935, the
latter in 1937, and for the two years, 1935-37, had been instructor in
Law in that institution. He remained for three years, and in June,
1940, was granted a leave of absence for further study in an advanced
law school, but did not return. He was an instructor of considerable
ability and was highly regarded by students and his acquaintances
among the faculty. He was married and he and his wife added much
to the social life of the town. Succeeding Mr. Currie was Mr. Herbert
R. Baer, who came to Wake Forest as associate professor of Law in
September, 1940, and was advanced to the full professorship after a
year, in 1941. He had received the degree of Bachelor of Arts from
Cornell University in 1923, and that of Bachelor of Laws from
Harvard University in 1926, and for the year 1939-40 had been
teaching fellow in the Cornell Law School. In the summer of 1942, he
accepted work with a department of the federal government. He
proved to be a man of good ability and an excellent instructor. For the
year 1939-40, during the absence on leave of Professor I. B. Lake, J.
Francis Paschal, with rank of instructor, taught some classes in the
School of Law. Applying first in June, 1938, the Trustees in-
Previous Page Next Page