The School of Medicine 341
unless we can assist in supplying better doctors, for which there is, and will
continue to be, a crying demand. In this principle of excellence this department
must find its only reason for existence.
Such were the words of Dr. Watson S. Rankin, then Dean of the
School of Medicine, to the Board of Trustees in May, 1906. Those in
charge of the School have sought to maintain that "principle of
excellence" of which he spoke in several ways-high admission
requirements, care in selecting students, adequate laboratories,
equipment and supplies, faithful and severe training in all
departments. It is these things that won for the School its high rank
and recognition among the two-year medical colleges of the country.
From the first students trained in the Wake Forest School of
Medicine have been freely admitted to advanced medical colleges and
except in the rarest instances have maintained their standing in them.
In 1902-03 of the six students who completed the work of the first
year three went to other institutions for the work of the second year,
where according to a letter read by Dean F. K. Cooke to the Trustees
in May, 1904, their work proved highly satisfactory. Since that time it
has been only those who have completed the two-year course that
have gone to other institutions; they, too, have proved in all
institutions which they have attended that their training at Wake
Forest was good.
The first professional inspection of the Wake Forest College School
of Medicine was made in the spring of 1904 at the request of the
Judicial Council of the Association of American Medical Colleges.
Their agent was Professor Randolph Winslow of the University of
Maryland. As a result the Council reported to the Association at its
meeting in May of that year at Atlantic City, as follows: "After
careful investigation, we find that the Wake Forest College School of
Medicine is fulfilling all the requirements of this Association, and we
therefore recommend that it be received as a member."
This recognition was highly prized, and most valuable to the School
since it was a virtual recommendation of admission of those students
who had completed the work of the School to the