342 History of Wake Forest College
third year classes of the four-year medical colleges belonging to the
Association.
Further recognition came to the young School in May, 1907, when
it was admitted to the List of Approved Medical Colleges by the
Board of Regents of the University of New York, in Group I, Class 3,
a recognition accorded no other North Carolina medical school. As is
noted first in the catalogue of 1937-38 the School has been placed on
the approved list of the Council on Medical Education of the
American Medical Association.
Throughout all the years the School has met all tests. The only time
when its existence has been endangered was in 1935-36, when with
the purpose of reducing the number of medical colleges a special
committee of the American Medical Association recommended the
discontinuance of all two-year medical schools. This danger was
averted by those four-year medical schools which had been receiving
the men from the two-year schools, which were rallied to action by
the strong representations of President Kitchin, and President Graham
of the University of North Carolina.
THE PROFESSORS
On July 25, 1905, Dr. W. S. Rankin was made dean of the School
of Medicine. His ability, zeal and enthusiasm in his work had well
indicated him for the place. His own laboratories and office were
models of cleanliness and order; and he had been able to inspire his
students with much of his own spirit. He took the lead in insisting on
high standards of admission and graduation of students in the School,
and, says President
Poteat,8
"The official recognition of this school as
of first rank in its methods, equipment, and standards is largely due to
his enthusiasm and professional intelligence."9 When he gave up his
work in May,
―――――――
8
Bulletin of Wake Forest College, New Series, IV, 128, July, 1909.
9 Probably, President Poteat was thinking in part of the pride and zeal with which
Rankin showed the various features of the School―its classrooms, laboratories, and
the College Hospital―to Mr. Abraham Flexner, of the staff of the Carnegie
Foundation, and Dr. N. P. Colwell, of the Council of the American Association,
when they were at the College on a tour of investigation of its
Previous Page Next Page