The School of Medicine 343
1909, he could report to the Board of Trustees that in the two best
accrediting agencies of medical schools in the country the Wake
Forest School had the highest official standing, and that it was one of
the eleven highest in its entrance requirements, the others being such
institutions as Johns Hopkins, Harvard, Cornell, and Fordham. Under
his administration all was harmony and good will among all
connected with the School either as students or members of the
faculty, and at the College Hospital of which he was superintendent
for the year 1908-09.
These things were noised abroad in North Carolina and much talked
of by the medical profession in the State, with the result that Dr. R. H.
Lewis, Director of the North Carolina State Board of Health,
nominated him for his successor. It was to accept this position that Dr.
Rankin, in May, 1909, resigned his work at Wake Forest. Not to lose
his services altogether, the Trustees on accepting his resignation
elected him a member of their Board. During his stay at Wake Forest,
Dr. Rankin married Miss Elva Dickson of Wake Forest, on October 5,
1906, and their social relations in the town were pleasant.
On the retirement of Dr. Cooke, the Trustees on July 25, 1905,
elected Dr. Lewis M. Gaines as his successor to the professorship of
Anatomy and Physiology, at a salary of $1,250, increased after one
year to $1,500. Dr. Gaines' home was in Atlanta, Georgia, near which,
in the town of Decatur, his father was president of Agnes Scott
College, a Presbyterian institution. He was a graduate of Hampden-
Sidney College and had received his M.D. degree from Johns
Hopkins University in 1903. On his examination by the North
Carolina Board of Medical Examiners in 1905 Dr. Gaines stood
highest among 137 applicants. He remained at the College until May
3, 1908, leaving shortly before the close of the session after making
satisfactory arrangements for the completion of the work of his
classes. He had been a member of the committee on the construction
and equipment of
professional schools on February 6-7, 1909, and who did not conceal their
admiration as Rankin showed them around.