The School of Medicine 347
for outside patients. It was also recommended that outside physicians
and surgeons be allowed to use the hospital for their patients, but
under restrictions so great that none ever seems to have taken
advantage of it. Some of the college physicians have done a great deal
of surgery in the hospital, mostly for students. In one year Dr. W. C.
Smith did forty-five appendectomies, with the loss of only one
patient, but since his day nearly all appendectomies and other major
surgical cases have been sent to other hospitals and only minor
surgery cases treated at the College.
The service of the students in the hospital was left to the members
of the faculty of the School of Medicine who, with the approval of the
president, divided up the work for the year among themselves, each
professor serving a period of a month or more at the hospital hour,
when he might be consulted by students in regard to their health. This
continued until the year 1940-41, when Dr. G. C. Mackie was
designated as college physician and entrusted with this entire service.
The professors of the School have provided for all days of the
scholastic year a hospital hour, attended by the member of their
number appointed for that month or other period, at which time
students have been free to consult them. They have looked after all
patients in the hospital beds or elsewhere when epidemics of disease
have visited the College and made beds elsewhere necessary. For
some years they served without pay as physicians for acute diseases in
the families of other members of the faculty. They have also from
year to year made physical and medical examinations of students
entering the College, vaccinated those who needed it for the
prevention of smallpox and have given the anti-typhoid fever
treatment and looked after the general health and sanitation of the
college community. Was the water from the wells of Wake Forest
bad? It was one of the college physicians, Dr. W. S. Rankin, who told
the Trustees of that threat to the health of the students, and as early as
May, 1909, induced them to take action for providing the town and
College with a water and sewerage system.
Previous Page Next Page