The School of Medicine 349
College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1906. From that time his
hospital experience was extensive-in the City Hospital, in the City
Alms House, in the Roosevelt Hospital, and in the House of Relief of
the New York Hospital, where as physician and surgeon for a year
and a half he had charge of all cases." His four years of service in his
several capacities at the College were most satisfactory to Trustees,
faculty, and students, and revealed him as aggressively loyal to the
College and constructive. His personal influence was most salutary
and he and his young wife and child had a warm place in the social
life of the town of Wake Forest. As he was leaving President Poteat
said of him: "In all the history of the College few men have enjoyed
higher respect on the part of the college community on account of his
equipment and ability as a teacher, or a warmer regard on account of
his attractive personal traits. Dr. Stewart's leaving is a matter of deep
and universal regret."
Dr. Stewart had not offered his resignation at the time of
commencement in May, 1912, but with the opening of the session on
September 3, he was already planning to leave, to resume regular
practice of his profession on Long Island. He remained, however, in
charge of the department until a proper person might be secured to
succeed him. Accordingly, it was on October 11, 1912, when the
Trustees accepted his resignation and appointed as his successor, Dr.
Edward S. Ruth. Dr. Ruth came well recommended and equipped for
the work. He had received his M.D. degree from the University of
Kansas Medical School in 1910; had served several internships, and
for one year was Research Fellow in the surgical department of the
Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research, working under Dr. Alexis
Carrel, the winner of the Nobel prize in medicine for 1912, and now
famed for his researches on cancer and for his book Man, the
Unknown. At the time of his appointment Dr. Ruth was Instructor in
Anatomy in the Bellevue Hospital Medical College. He came to Wake
Forest with his bride on October 14, and took charge of the de-
partment on October 28, 1912. Probably by pre-arrangement he
remained only one year, in which his work was entirely satis-
Previous Page Next Page