After the remodeling of the old College Building in 1900, as is told
in the chapter on Buildings and Grounds, the president's office had
been moved from Lea Laboratory, to this building and consisted of a
large reception room connecting with the hall by a door to the left of
the entrance and of an adjoining inner offer improvised from a
dormitory room in the Euzelian end of the building, and reached by a
descent of one or two steps, from the front room. Both these rooms
were furnished with much simplicity, in that respect differing little
from the office of General R. E. Lee, when he was president of
Washington College, still preserved as he left it. Such simplicity was
antiquated, thought Rev. A. B. Dunaway, the Oxford pastor, who was
at Wake Forest in a protracted meeting in October, 1905, soon after
President Poteat's assumption of the presidency; simplicity should be
displaced with elegance and comfort even if the denomination had to
pay for it. His suggestion was taken and the walls were improved and
proper modern furniture provided for the rooms; in the front room
was a massive table of oak; this room served not only for a reception
room but also for the meetings of the faculty until that body had
outgrown it. Since the burning of the old College Building and the
construction of Wait Hall the president's office occupies relatively the
same place in it, but the front room is large enough only for the
secretary's desk, while those desiring to see the president must wait in
the lobby outside until their turn comes.
Since President Poteat continued to direct the department of
Biology in another building he was in his office only a part of the day;
but his office hours were known, and during these he was easily
accessible to students, members of the faculty and visitors. With great
natural and cultivated urbanity he made all who came at ease as they
discussed the business on which they had come,
Previous Page Next Page