352 History of Wake Forest College
College with the degree of B.A. in 1897, and from the Jefferson
Medical College of Philadelphia with the degree of M.D. in 1904. To
his regular professional course of four years he added an extra year of
study in surgery, obstetrics, gynecology, and general practice. For
four years he practiced medicine in Northampton County and for two
years in Vance County. After his election in September he spent three
months in special studies in Philadelphia, having the distinction of
appointment to the position of demonstrator in Physiology to
Professor Brubaker, of Jefferson Medical College. It may be added
that inducements were offered him to remain in that institution. On
the 3d of January, 1910, as the third professor in the department of
Medicine, he began the two courses he will conduct-Physiology and
Pharmacological Chemistry. With the appropriation you made for that
purpose, he equipped the physiological laboratory with needed
apparatus, and so brought it more nearly up to the standard of the
other laboratories of the department." On the reorganization of the
School in the summer of 1914 Dr. Carstarphen was elected to his
position, and remained in it not without local opposition which
brought his resignation in May, 1917. He immediately volunteered for
service in the Army and won some distinction for his services both in
camp and in France, being advanced to the rank of Colonel. After the
Armistice he became an aide of General Pershing. Since the War he
has practiced his profession in and around New York City.
After the six years of peaceful progress noted above, there was a
five-year period, 1909-14, following the resignation of Dr. Rankin
which was a time of much wrangling among the professors in the
School of Medicine and their friends of Wake Forest. This wrangling
all but resulted in the wreck of the School. The first pronounced
official manifestation of dissatisfaction to reach the Board of Trustees
was at their annual meeting in May, 1911. At that time Dr. Stewart,
who had been at the College since September, 1908, and Dr.
Carstarphen who had come the previous January, presented to the
Board a plan for the reorganization of the management of the College
Hospital, in which it was under-
Previous Page Next Page