364 History of Wake Forest College
Medicine has always shown a disposition to be of service to the
medical profession in the State. In June, 1907, Dr. W. S. Rankin
brought a proposition before the Board to establish a clinical
laboratory for purposes of diagnosis for physicians in the State, a
proposition which the Board accepted with the provision that no
expense devolve on the College. Dr. Rankin did undertake the work
but remained at Wake Forest too short a time thereafter to carry it
very far. He had already done much in diagnosis of hookworm cases,
on which he was the recognized authority. Again, on November 10,
1919, the Board authorized Dr. L. T. Buchanan and Professor W. F.
Taylor to establish a consulting Bacteriological and Pathological
Laboratory provided the College should receive 20 per cent of the
collections. They began work but seemed to have had only moderate
success in it, since Dr. Buchanan left Wake Forest the following June.
Dr. Taylor, however, until his resignation in June, 1927, did a limited
amount of work of this kind. After that time, Dr. C. C. Carpenter
conducted such a laboratory with much success and was of much
service to the profession, especially in his diagnosis of cancer.
It may be well to note the condition of the School of Medicine
when it closed its work at Wake Forest after thirty-nine years of
service. First, the School was well housed in a building that met the
approval of the American Medical Association. Its laboratories were
well equipped with all modern facilities. It had an excellent,
serviceable library. It was well organized with a faculty of seven full
professors, one of whom was dean of the School, two assistant
professors, three instructors, an associate and an assistant, and a
librarian, and for some years has had a clinical staff of able physicians
not in residence on whom it could call if thought necessary. In 1940-
1941 it had 36 first-year and 30 second-year students carefully
selected from a much larger number of applicants. The men it has
trained in the first two years of medicine are now able physicians and
surgeons in many states of the Union and in some foreign countries
and almost to a man they are its strong friends and supporters. The
general excellence and standing of the School recommended it to
those
Previous Page Next Page