378 History of Wake Forest College
session of 1928 and thereafter for several years Mr. John Caddell
coached baseball at a salary of $250 a month. The year in inter-
collegiate athletics was not very successful and before the year was
out Mr. Cofall resigned, and was succeeded by Mr. Miller, who
remained at the College until June, 1933, first as acting director of
athletics, and after June, 1931 as director of athletics, and proved
generally acceptable.
Another trouble which the Trustees had with athletics was financial.
Having been appointed for the purpose, Mr. Claude Gore made a
report to the Board in May, 1928 recommending that the president
and faculty of the College take over the entire management of
athletics according to nine very simple rules which the faculty broke
down into a most elaborate set of regulations within the next year, but
no set of rules could prevent a financial loss in the operation of
athletics at the College in those years. On July 6, 1928, a special
committee reported to the executive committee of the Board
outstanding obligations on account of athletics amounting to
$19,570.46, while its assets was a house valued at $5,600 and book-
store stock valued at $3,000. The obligations were ordered paid, and
the house and book-store stock became the property of the College. In
another year there was a new deficit of $8,985.00, and there was a
continuation of sporadic grumbling that too much of the income of the
College was paid for athletics.
In general, President Gaines showed much sympathy and concern
for the welfare of the members of the faculty. He was known to favor
increased salaries for them, and on his advice in May, 1928, their
salaries were increased, those of full professors from $3,300 to
$3,500. In January, 1929, the executive committee of the College
voted to authorize the president to appoint not more than three
professors of his selection each year for the enjoyment of a sabbatical
year: perhaps it was owing to the decreasing revenues of the College
as the great financial depression was coming on that nothing more
was heard of it. In June, 1927, the Trustees established for the
employees of the College a system of group insurance, one-half the
cost, sixty cents per
Previous Page Next Page