382 History of Wake Forest College
in which the College was granted permission, "through its alumni," to
raise $250,000 so urgently needed for the new buildings but with the
understanding that this was in no way to interfere with the Centennial
Campaign, and that the appeal was to be made "quietly and only to
the alumni of the institution." In the resolutions it was strongly
represented that the "right of way" until December 31, 1930, belonged
to the Centennial Campaign, and that if Wake Forest College wished
to put on a campaign after that time it should first secure the approval
by the Convention of its plans.
The petitioners, however, taking advantage of the concession to
make a campaign for $250,000 for the erection of needed buildings,
did not delay in taking measures to effect their purpose. Early in
March, 1930, the Alumni Faculty Council was organized to canvass
for what was known as the Loyalty Building Fund, with A. C. Reid as
chairman and J. L. Memory as vice chairman, while a general
executive committee composed of alumni in all parts of the State was
named with E. Y. Webb, as chairman. The council set about its work
immediately; first they secured from an architect, H. P. S. Seller, the
plans for two buildings, one a Physical Education Building to cost
$150,000, the other a Students' Activities Building to cost $150,000,
which were published in Old Gold and Black for March 1,
1930.6
The
canvass was begun and conducted with energy for a few weeks, and
before June 1, 1930, about $80,000 in pledges were secured, many of
which were later paid and used for the buildings constructed some
years later, Wait Hall and the Gymnasium.
At the time of the election of Dr. Gaines to the presidency the
Trustees voted that his salary should be $5,400 in money and the
rental of a house. Since the departure of President William Hooper in
December, 1848, the presidents of the College―White, Wingate,
Pritchard, Taylor, Poteat―had lived in houses of their own. Wait
lived first in the old Jones residence, then standing
―――――――
6 Some years later Mr. Seller put in a claim with the Board of Trustees for $5,000
for drawing these plans, of which on a compromise the Trustees paid $750 on
September 7, 1934.
Previous Page Next Page