Since Dr. Kitchin assumed the presidency a department of Music
has been added to the curriculum. Notice of it first appears in the
catalogue of 1938-39. Mr. Lyman H. Seymour, a graduate of
Campbell College who had been a student of the University of North
Carolina, was acting director. In that year courses were offered in
sight-singing and ear-training, history and appreciation of music,
church music, orchestra, glee club, and harmony, each with credit for
one or two semester hours, but for what those credits be used is not
made evident. Mr. Seymour remained only one year. As his successor
the Trustees on May 29, 1939, elected Mr. Donald L. Pfohl, who had
received the bachelor of music (B.M.) degree from the University of
Illinois in 1939, and was well equipped for the work he was
undertaking at Wake Forest.
He offered an elaborate program of courses, credit for which was
fitted into a scheme of major studies for those who desired to
specialize in music. He entered on the work with much enthusiasm
and energy, and by his youthful personality and his ability and the
attention he gave to his classes made his department very popular. In
the first semester the registrations were 101. However, his promise of
great future usefulness to his profession and the College was cut short
by his death from pneumonia on September 16, 1940. In memory of
him, as is told earlier in this work, his father and mother, Bishop and
Mrs. J. Kenneth Pfohl of the Moravian Church, Winston-Salem, set
up a set of chimes in the tower of the Administration Building, which
were first played on Sunday, April 27, 1941, when Mrs. Pfohl, the
mother, gave an hour concert of the Moravians chorales on which the
soul of her son had been nurtured from birth.
It was June 2, 1941, before the Trustees chose a successor to
Director Pfohl. This was Thane Edward McDonald who had taken
degrees in music in the University of Michigan, the Mus.B.
Previous Page Next Page