Faculty and Curriculum Under Kitchen 419
degrees from Johns Hopkins University, was added to the department
as associate professor. In 1935 Mr. H. M. Stroupe was added as
teaching fellow, and after two years was raised to the rank of
instructor, and except for leaves of absence has continued as such; in
1942 he received the Ph.D. degree from Duke University. For one
year, 1939-40 Mr. Percival Perry, who had received the B.A. degree
from the College in 1937, and the M.A. from Rutgers University in
1939, served as instructor.
In this period there has been little change in the faculty of the
department of Mathematics, which until 1933 consisted of Professor
H. A. Jones, Associate Professor J. G. Carroll, and Assistant Professor
K. T. Raynor. In 1933, Mr. R. S. Gay, who in 1928 received the B.S.
degree from the College, and in 1931, the M.A. from North Carolina
State College, was added as an instructor; in 1939 Mr. W. H.
Copeland was added as teaching fellow, and after two years was made
instructor. With the purpose of serving the students who might be
called to service in the armed forces and go in training for a
commission, the department in 1941 added a course called
"Mathematical Fundamentals in Military Training." In addition to the
high school work, three units, six semester hours in mathematics in
college are prescribed for the degrees of Bachelor of Arts and
Bachelor of Science; practically the same requirements are made in
the other educational institutions of the State, although at the
University of North Carolina and Duke the student has the hard
choice of taking a like amount of Latin or Greek. On this account
registrations for courses in mathematics have always been large in
first year mathematics in all colleges; in 1940-41 registrations in all
courses were 570 at Wake Forest.
Professor W. L. Poteat continued as head of the department of
Biology until June, 1937, although in his later years he was not able to
do full work, and on July 9, 1935, asked to be relieved of part of his
work as teacher; owing to declining health he did not teach at all in
1937-38, but was nominally a member of the teaching force until his
death on March 12, 1938. As head of the department he was
succeeded by Dr. O. C. Bradbury, who at this time gave up his classes
in the School of Medicine
Previous Page Next Page