Faculty and Curriculum Under Kitchen 421
W. E. Speas composed the faculty of the department of Physics. The
former had organized the department in 1899 and continued as head
until June, 1932, when the Trustees made him professor emeritus at a
salary of $500 a year. Since that time Professor Speas has been head
of the department. He conducted it alone until June, 1941, when the
Trustees elected as his assistant Sherwood Githens, Jr., with the rank
of assistant professor. He was a graduate of Bucknell University in
the class of 1931 and received the M.A. degree from the University of
North Carolina in 1933, and the Ph.D. degree from the same
institution in 1936. He proved a good instructor, but left on a leave of
absence in 1941-42 for work in the military service of the nation. In
May, 1941 the Trustees chose H. M. Parker, B.A., Ph.D., as assistant
professor, and in May, 1943, raised him to the rank of associate
professor. The department has been conducted without the assistance
of teaching fellows or instructors.
During President Kitchin's administration there has been much
improvement in the laboratory facilities and other equipment for
instruction in the fundamental sciences, although for Chemistry the
two wings added to the Lea Laboratory in 1921-22 giving that
building five laboratories, have proved adequate for the teaching
force. The department of Biology came into a building of its own,
when in 1941, on the removal of the School of Medicine to Winston-
Salem, the William A. Johnson Medical Building, with the consent of
the donors, was surrendered to that department. The Physics
department as yet has no separate building, but had adequate quarters
in the Alumni Building until the summer of 1942 when to make room
for the Army Finance School it was moved temporarily to the Johnson
Medical Building. The tendency in these years has been to restrict the
courses in Chemistry, Biology and Physics to those that are definitely
and technically related to these departments. Until 1930 a course in
geology and another in economic and commercial geography had
been taught by a member of the faculty of the department of Biology;
and earlier still a course in mineralogy was offered by the same
department. None of these courses are any longer
Previous Page Next Page