In number and quality of buildings erected the administration of
President Kitchin has far surpassed that of any other. Of these some
account has already been given in the chapter on Buildings and
Grounds, and what is said here is supplementary. The first of the
buildings erected in this period was the William Amos Johnson
Memorial Building, constructed in the winter of 1932-33, with funds
provided by the Johnson family. This building, modern in all details
was specially designed to make adequate provision for the School of
Medicine, and so far as Wake Forest was concerned, effectually put a
stop to the clamors of critics of two-year schools of medicine on the
ground that they were not properly equipped with buildings,
laboratories and classrooms. Its total cost was about fifty thousand
There were no generous donors to provide for the total cost of the
remaining buildings erected in the next few years. Wait Hall in 1933-
34, the Gymnasium in 1934-35, Simmons Hall in 1936. To find and
collect the money for these was the task of the president and the
Trustees, faculty, alumni and other friends of the College. The total
cost of all was about $300,000―Wait Hall, $100,000; Gymnasium,
$130,000; Simmons Hall, $70,000; while necessary furnishings cost
$50,000 additional. This was a great amount of money to raise or find
in the great depression. Part of it came from insurance, from the old
College Building, $20,000, from Wingate Hall and portraits, about
$42,000. The former had been insured for $70,000 and premiums had
been paid on that amount, but after the fire it was found that
depreciations had been made in value in the policy without the
attention of the officials of the College having been called to the fact,
and $20,000 was all that was paid.
It will be recalled that in the last year of President Gaines's
administration a "Loyalty Building Fund" campaign had been
Previous Page Next Page