The New Buildings 427
started with the purpose of raising $250,000 for the erection of a new
gymnasium and a student's activities building. The Gymnasium was
to be the first constructed. The Trustees, at the meeting in which they
elected the new president, July 2, 1930, appointed a committee to
select a site for it, and to secure plans and bids for its construction,
and at their next meeting on November 12, 1930, on the
representation of their new president that making a beginning on the
new gymnasium would have a good psychological effect, they
authorized the committee to begin the construction of some part of the
building before the next Commencement; almost two years later, on
September 22, 1932, the executive committee passed a resolution to
the same effect. But nothing was done, because, as the committee
explained at a joint meeting of the executive and building committees
on January 12, 1933, the Loyalty Building Fund had not been able to
furnish as much as $25,000, which amount they thought necessary to
have in hand before the work was begun.
From the first the Loyalty Building Fund campaign had traveled a
hard road; its chief element of strength was the enthusiasm of those
who had it in charge. They employed two professional collectors,
brothers, to raise the money from the alumni and friends. At first
indeed these professionals excited the strongest hopes of success in
the breasts of loyal Wake Forest men. In less than a year they had
secured pledges for about $170,000 and it was thought to be only a
question of time until the entire amount would be pledged and paid.
This perhaps accounts for the action of the Trustees in appointing a
committee to locate and secure plans for the building when the
campaign was six months old. With this favorable action by the
Trustees and the hopeful words of promoters at Wake Forest the
expectations of the students ran high, and in the spring of 1931 they
were confident that on their return from the summer vacation they
would find the new gymnasium standing in all the glory depicted in
the architect's sketches printed in Old Gold and Black.
The fact is, however, that on the pledges secured by the collectors
the collections for the four years, 1929-33, partly on
Previous Page Next Page