Faculty and Officers 35
a course in Economic Zoology, with special reference to animals
which are of importance to man, including parasites and insects.
In September, 1922, Mr. Charles Earl Wilson, as acting professor,
took the place of Dr. Gould, who was absent on leave, and when the
latter did not return was made associate professor in 1923, and
continued as such until June, 1925. He added a course in Animal
Micrology in 1924-25. Succeeding Wilson in September, 1925 was
Dr. Ora C. Bradbury with the rank of professor. He continued the
courses already offered, some of them with changed names and shift
of emphasis and more extended and technical. Like Gould and Wilson
he gave instruction in courses also in the School of Medicine.
The department was conducted with much more facility when in
September, 1906, it was moved from its restricted quarters in Lea
Laboratory to the Alumni Building, which at that time was devoted
entirely to the biological sciences, including the allied branches of the
School of Medicine. According to the report in the catalogue of 1906-
07, it was equipped with first-class appliances; the stress was upon
laboratory work, for which the best of provision was now made.
In Chemistry Dr. Charles E. Brewer continued as head of the
department until June, 1915, when he resigned to accept the
presidency of Meredith College. The catalogues show that his courses
were three—an Elementary Course, Organic Chemistry, Quantitative
Analysis, and for some years a fourth, Physiological Chemistry,
which was a course of the School of Medicine.
In 1914 Dr. John W. Nowell, a graduate of the College who had
been instructor in Chemistry in 1907-08, came to the aid of Dr.
Brewer, as associate professor, and on the resignation of the latter in
1915, was elevated to the rank of full professor, and was head of the
department until his death, November 25, 1930. Under him the
department had a great development: the number of students
increased from year to year and advanced courses were added, so that
an increase in the teaching force and space