The New Buildings 429
interest to about $25,000, for which they were to receive in turn halls
on the third floor of the new building.
With these funds in hand and with others received on short term
borrowings the building committee went ahead with the construction,
letting the contract on September 14, 1933, and accepting the finished
building from the architect and contractor on May 24, 1934. For this
building and the others erected since-the Gymnasium, Simmons Hall,
the new chapel now under construction, and the building on the site of
Wingate Memorial Hall-the architect has been Mr. W. H. Deitrick, an
alumnus of the College of the class of 1916, and the contractor and
builder has been Mr. George W. Kane of Durham, both of whom have
given much satisfaction and have received votes of thanks from the
Trustees.
The new gymnasium was not forgotten, but as soon as Wait Hall
was finished the Trustees authorized the building committee to
proceed with all speed to its erection. Funds justifying a beginning
were available. Wingate Hall and the portraits on its walls destroyed
by fire on February 14, 1934, was insured for $42,000, and that
amount when collected was allocated to the building fund. In addition
the note amounting to $18,405 which the Board of the Baptist State
Convention had given the College on account of collections in the
Centennial Campaign was collected and the money paid to the
building fund for which it was originally given. The building
committee did not delay: On October 5, 1934, they let the contract for
the new building and saw it completed in the college year. Its total
cost was nearly $130,000, about $50,000 of which was secured by a
loan. At first it was intended that the main floor should serve as an
auditorium, but its acoustics were so bad that after a year or two this
purpose was abandoned.
The next building constructed was Simmons Hall, which was built
in response to a request of the fraternities that had chapters in the
College, that the Trustees build houses for them on the old athletic
field north of the Campus. The Trustees, however, having come into
possession of the Simmons property, separated
Previous Page Next Page