The New Buildings 431
small building somewhat modified in design from the original, the
lower floor to have the small chapel and rooms for the department of
Religion and certain student groups, while the second floor was to be
given over to the department of Music and constructed with rooms
specially designed for it. The chapel was located in the center of the
Campus, the smaller building on the site of Wingate Hall.
Construction was begun at once, and the smaller building by special
effort was completed in the fall of 1942 and even before completed
was turned over to the Army Finance School. Work on the large
chapel has been somewhat slow on account of scarcity of labor and
material but in November, 1943, it is under cover and is nearing
completion. Its spacious basement, with floor well above the ground
level and well lighted and ventilated, provides space for which there
is a constant demand.
On the completion of the new gymnasium the old gymnasium was
remodeled, and furnished offices and classrooms for the department
of Social Science. On the ground floor was the college book store on
one side of a longitudinal aisle while on the other side were numerous
offices for student activity groups. The Army Finance School has
occupied all the building except the student offices, while the Social
Science department finds temporary quarters in the Heck-Williams
Building.
Since the early years it has not been the custom of the College to
furnish board for its students, but according to the terms of a lease
authorized by the executive committee of the Board on June 13, 1938,
Miss Joanna Williams constructed a dining hall on the southern end of
the Purefoy lot opposite the Alumni Building, which easily
accommodates 600 students. Miss Williams had a previous record of
having for years provided for students, in the Powers Building to the
north of the Campus, excellent board for a reasonable price, and this
service she continued in the new hall until soon after the Finance
School came to the College, when for the duration of the war she
surrendered it to the College to be used in furnishing board to the
soldiers. In general her services in providing good sanitary food for
the students have
Previous Page Next Page