450 History of Wake Forest College
A group of students has expressed the determination to have a dance on the Wake
Forest Campus. For this reason it seems wise to us to make the position of the
College and the Convention on this matter clear to every student.
In 1937 the North Carolina Baptist Convention ruled "that no college or school of
any grade, or other institution of any kind whatsoever, owned and maintained by
this Convention, shall at any time through its faculty, boards of trustees, or other
agents promote or allow promoted dancing in its buildings or on its premises." This
ruling applies to Wake Forest College and only the Baptist State Convention has
authority to change it. Any student who is unwilling to abide by this regulation
should not return to the College. The penalty for violation of this regulation is
expulsion.
Every member of the faculty is expected to abide by this regulation and support
its enforcement.
A committee composed of representatives of the student body, the faculty and the
Board of Trustees will begin a study of the recreational and social life of the
College in September. All of us are interested in creating and maintaining happy
and satisfactory social conditions on the Campus. For the achievement of this
objective we desire the hearty and intelligent cooperation of students, faculty, and
friends of the College.
At the next meeting of the Baptist State Convention, that in
Asheville in November, 1941, it was unmistakably revealed that the
Baptists of the State were much gratified at the sending of this
resolution, and when a speaker, Dr. Carl Townsend, thanked God for
President Kitchin and his sending the letter to those for whom it was
designed, there was a chorus of "Amens" from the delegates.
In recent years there has been manifest among those chiefly
concerned for the conduct of the College a sense of the need of a
more vital spiritual and religious life among faculty and students. An
indication of this was the call for rededication in President Kitchin's
report to the Board of Trustees in May, 1940. As a result the Trustees
went on record "as rededicating themselves to the major purposes of
the College and the ideals of the Christian religion." They thought it
timely to "reaffirm the College's emphasis on spiritual values as an
essential part of education and specifically the major duty of a
Christian College."
Previous Page Next Page