XXXI
THE ARMY FINANCE SCHOOL
In other chapters of this work it was told how seriously the Civil
War and the first World War affected the College, the former causing
its suspension, while in the latter it was saved from financial
embarrassment by the Students Army Training Corps. In the present
war there was no promise of such employment for the college faculty
and equipment as that furnished by the S.A.T.C. It was not without
reason then that in this situation President Kitchin became
apprehensive about its effect on the College―it would take the
students by its draft, and would cause a loss of revenue by
diminishing returns from endowment as well as from student fees.
The one hope was that in some way the national government might be
able to use in the training of some unit of the Army or Navy a part of
the college plant and equipment which would otherwise be idle or not
necessary for the care of the fewer students. For securing some such
army or navy unit, President Kitchin exerted every effort, and at
length was successful. Early in August, 1942, as a result of
negotiations conducted by him the Government installed at Wake
Forest an Army Finance School, under a contract favorable to the
College. From soon after its establishment the unit here has numbered
about 1,200 officers and men. They have the exclusive use of all the
college dormitories, and of the Gore Gymnasium, both floors of
which are used as dormitories; for instruction and offices the School
has the use of the old Gymnasium, the Alumni Building and the new
Music and Religious Building (which was not completed until
October, 1942); for a dining hall the College provides the cafeteria
across the road from the Alumni Building; for parade, the athletic
field. Instruction is provided by the officers and not the college
faculty. Thus the School is separate from the regular college in
everything; it is not in the way of the College and the College is not in
its way; there has
Previous Page Next Page