FACULTY, 1834 TO JUNE 1943
The following is intended to be a complete list of names of the
members of the faculty from February, 1834, until June, 1943, except
for the Schools of Law and of Medicine, and assistants who did no
teaching. The names are arranged in the order of the departments as
given in late college catalogues. Under the departments first come the
names of those who attained the rank of professor, followed in order
by the names of those who attained the rank of associate professor,
assistant professor, instructor, teaching fellow, student assistants. The
degrees and dates of appointment and of leaving off are given under
William Gaston Simmons, M.A., LL.D., Professor (also Chem-
istry), 1855-88; Professor Emeritus, 1888-89.
William Louis Poteat, M.A., LL.D., Tutor, 1878-80; Assistant
Professor, 1880-83; Professor, 1883-until death, March 12, 1938.
H. N. Gould, Ph.D., Professor, 1920-22 (also Histology and
C. E. Wilson, M.A., Acting Professor, 1922-23; Associate
O. C. Bradbury, B.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Professor since 1925.
E. C. Cocke, M.S., Ph.D., Assistant Professor, 1938; Associate
Professor, since 1943.
R. B. Wilson, B.A., M.A., Instructor, 1921-22; Assistant Professor,
J. J. Tyson, B.A., M.S., Instructor, 1924-25; Assistant Professor,
Instructors: J. D. Ives, B.A., M.A., 1906-14; R. B. Wilson, B.A.,
M.A., 1920-22; J. J. Tyson, B.A., M.S., 1924-25; T. M.