42 History of Wake Forest College
Mr. Charles A. Rouse, as associate professor, came to the assistance
of Professor Sledd in September, 1919, and in 1920 Mr. Edgar H.
Henderson was added, also with the rank of associate. He remained
only one year, when he left for further university work, and for the
next year, 1921-22, Professors Sledd and Rouse and seven student
instructors directed the work of the 275 individuals who registered for
their classes. Professor Rouse continued at the College until June,
1924, when he obtained a year's leave of absence to do additional
graduate work in Cornell University, from which he obtained the
degree of Doctor of Philosophy, but he did not return to Wake Forest.
He had done most faithful and good work at Wake Forest.
In September, 1922, Dr. McCutcheon returned to the College with
the rank of full professor. He was also made secretary of the
department, in which position he directed the work of the students,
and attended to the general administrative details, which was the more
necessary since for a period at this time Dr. Sledd was in feebler
health than usual. In September, 1922, Dr. Charles P. Weaver, a
graduate of the college in the class of 1907, was added to the English
department with the rank of associate professor. He remained only
one year, when he resigned to accept the presidency of Chowan
College. To be mentioned here, though of the rank of instructor, is
Mr. Henry Belk, who was added to the staff in September 1923 and
remained two years. He was a skilled journalist, and first gave the
teaching of journalism prominence in the curriculum of the English
department. In September, 1924, Dr. Henry Broadus Jones, a graduate
of the College in the class of 1910, was added to the staff of the
department with the rank of full professor, who after a year, on' the
departure of Dr. McCutcheon to the graduate school of Tulane
University, of which he has since been made dean, entered upon his
administrative work, which he has conducted with much success, as
head of the department since 1938 when Dr. Sledd retired. Of him,
some further account will be given in a later chapter.
Such was the development in the English department during the
years of Poteat's administration, 1905-27. In character
Previous Page Next Page