44 History of Wake Forest College
"The aim of the School of Education," said Professor Highsmith, in
the catalogue of that year, "is to give students professional training
that will equip them for a high order of service in the teaching
profession." He also taught a class in Sunday school methods, which,
as told in another chapter, proved very valuable to many. The
registrations for his courses were large, reaching 233 in 1915-16.
With his varied gifts Professor Highsmith filled engagements of many
kinds away from the College, holding teachers' institutes, teaching in
summer schools of other institutions, and, being gifted in public
speech, often making addresses at high school and county
commencements, before associations and on other occasions. In May,
1917, he resigned his work at the College to take a position with the
State Department of Education, with which he has since done
distinguished service.
Thomas Everette Cochran, a graduate of Richmond College, who
for the past year had been professor of Education in Columbia
College, Florida, on July 8, 1917, was elected to succeed Highsmith.
In general he continued the work as he found it, but dropped the
course in Sunday school methods. He was more conservative than his
predecessor, but was a master of his subject, and an excellent teacher.
Not having special gifts in public speech he was rarely called to
address public assemblies away for the College. He resigned in 1920,
and later accepted a position on the faculty of Center College,
Danville, Kentucky.
In September, 1920, Hyram T. Hunter, a graduate of the College in
the class of 1912, began his work as successor of Cochran. He was
well equipped both by university training and teaching experience for
the place. He expanded the work of his department by adding courses
on measurement. Along with President Poteat and Professor A. C.
Reid he led in the reestablishment of a summer school at the college,
which was authorized by the Trustees on January 8, 1921, and which
was opened on the 14th of the following June, and continued for six
weeks with Professor Hunter as director. Having been granted a leave
of absence, he spent the year at Harvard University and did not
resume his work at the College until September, 1922. During
Previous Page Next Page