48 History of Wake Forest College
BIBLE
Some account of the School (department) of the Bible has already
been given. Dr. Willis R. Cullom, who organized it in September,
1896, continued as its head until his retirement as professor emeritus
in 1938, but in the two years, 1918-19 and 1919-20, he was on leave
of absence and manager for schools and colleges of the Seventy-five
Million Campaign in the State during which period the department
was in charge of Frank K. Pool, acting professor, a graduate of the
College in the class of 1913, and with the degree of Master of
Theology from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. In his
work at Wake Forest Mr. Pool proved an efficient and popular
instructor. In 1823 Dr. J. W. Lynch, former pastor of the Wake Forest
Baptist Church, was added to the faculty as full professor, and con-
tinued until his retirement in 1938, and as professor emeritus until his
death, May 23, 1940. With this reinforcement the number and variety
of the courses were increased, Professor
――――――――――――――――――――――――――――
later as Lieutenant and Captain of Engineers. At the conclusion of the war he
resumed his connection with the Furman University faculty being professor of
mathematics and astronomy from 1866 through 1868. For the next four years he
was professor of mathematics in William Jewell of Missouri. In 1873 he accepted
the presidency of the Alabama Female College, Tuscaloosa, holding that position
for six years. From 1879 to 1888 he was president of the Baptist Female College,
Lexington, Mo. The next two years he was president of the Pierce City Baptist
College of the same state. In 1890 he accepted the professorship of physics and
applied mathematics in Wake Forest College. From 1899 to his death he was
professor of applied mathematics and astronomy.
The honorary degree of M.A. was conferred upon him in 1869 by Baylor
University; LL.D. in 1915 by Furman University.
Of striking physique and courtly bearing Dr. Lanneau won attention and respect
wherever he appeared. He was of the finest type of the Christian gentlemen and up
to the day of his death was chairman of the board of deacons and treasurer of the
Wake Forest Baptist Church.
Apart from the immediate tasks of the classroom, Dr. Lanneau showed his deep
scientific interest in several ways. He was probably the first man in North Carolina
to give demonstrations and public lectures on the X-Rays. In 1907 he invented the
Cosmoid manufactured by Wm. Gaertner & Co., of Chicago, and described by him
in "Popular Astronomy," December, 1913. This an ingenious apparatus for
illustrating many astronomical conceptions and motions and is capable of numerous
and easy adjustments. He was an active member of the North Academy of Science
and the Astronomical Society of the
Pacific.
Previous Page Next Page