Faculty and Officers 49
Lynch teaching courses in Biblical literature, Christian ethics, and
Biblical exposition, the last being a course primarily for ministerial
students, and designed to help them in the preparation and delivery of
sermons, of which he was a master of many years experience. After
six semester hours of work in Bible was required for the bachelor's
degrees, beginning with 1920-21, the number of those taking the
course greatly increased, being 117 in 1920-21, as against 60 the
previous session. With the enlargement of the department it became
even more popular, the number of registrants in 1926-27 being 329.
First in the catalogue of 1920-21 the department is called The John T.
Albritton School of the Bible, in recognition of its being endowed by
a gift of $50,000, contributed in 1919 by the children of Rev. John T.
Albritton and by the Eastern Association.
Dr. J. H. Gorrell throughout the entire administration of President
Poteat and until his retirement in June, 1939, remained as head of the
department of Modern Languages, teaching the German, French and
Spanish languages, usually two years of French and German and two
years of Spanish, twenty-four recitations a week. So far as the
catalogues show he did not have even a student assistant until 1913-
14. For the next two years a class in German was taught by Associate
Professor Clarence D. Johns of the Political Science department, and
in the following year, Dr. Gorrell had the assistance of Elmer W.
Sydnor, Associate Professor of English and French. For the next four
years Dr. Gorrell had only the assistance of student instructors, some
of them indeed, A. C. Reid, Irving Carlyle, P. H. Wilson, very able
instructors. For the year 1921-22 he was assisted by Assistant
Professor Irvin S. Goodman, an able instructor, but he remained only
one year. The next year Mr. Percy H. Wilson, who had received the
Bachelor of Arts degree from the College in 1920, began his service
as assistant professor of Modern Languages, which he continued until
June, 1935, teaching classes in French and Spanish. During the
remainder of this period the only other