Religious Life During Poteat's Administration 77
pastor. In the summer of 1916 Rev. C. D. Graves became pastor and
served until his resignation on November 20, 1920. For the
intervening months until September, 1921, Dr. W. R. Cullom served
as acting pastor. Dr. Bagby was called on July 24, 1921 and preached
his first sermon in the church on September 23, 1921. On April 15,
1928, Dr. Bagby resigned the work to accept the pastorate of the
Wilson Baptist Church, and was succeeded in November, 1928, by
Rev. J. A. Easley. Dr. Easley continued as pastor until September,
1938, when he resigned to accept a place in the Bible department of
the College. For the next year the preaching services of the Church
were cared for by Drs. Easley and O. T. Binkley who had come to the
College as head of the Bible department. For the college year 1939-40
Dr. Everett Gill was the ad interim pastor. In September, 1940, he
was succeded by the present pastor, Rev. Eugene I. Olive.
The second in order of these pastors, Rev. Walter N. Johnson, will
longest be remembered for his leadership in building the church, the
first house of worship the church ever had, except indeed the African
Chapel before 1866, in which the entire church worshiped while the
Old College Building with its chapel was used for a hospital. The
building of the new church began in 1913, and it was ready for church
services on February 7, 1915. The lot for the church was 130 by 140
feet, cut into the Campus from the south wall. The corner stone was
laid with appropriate ceremonies on Thursday May 22 of
commencement week, 1913. Prayers were offered by former
President Charles E. Taylor and Dr. J. W. Lynch, former pastor. Brief
addresses were made by the pastor at that time, Rev. W. N. Johnson,
and Dr. J. B. Weatherspoon and President R. T. Vann of Meredith
College.2 With the organ and improvements made later the total cost
was approximately $70,000, of which about two-thirds was ap-
propriated by denominational boards. The church lot which is on the
south side of the Campus and whose front is in line with South Main
Street if extended, was donated by the College so long
―――――――
2 Bulletin of Wake Forest College, VII, 232; VIII, 161; Record Book of the Wake
Forest Baptist Church.
Previous Page Next Page