78 History of Wake Forest College
as it may be used for the church building. From the first the church
auditorium has been used for important college functions, such as
commencements, and since the burning of Wingate Memorial Hall for
many of the daily chapel services of the College, lectures and student
meetings. When it was yet unfinished the Baptist State Convention of
1914, meeting in Raleigh, had an adjourned meeting in it on
December 9, 1914.
Dr. Johnson continued in the pastorate until December, 1915, when
he resigned to accept the position of corresponding secretary of the
Baptist State Convention, to which he had been recently elected.
For the first six months of 1916 the church was served by Rev.
Baylus Cade, acting pastor. He was a person of extraordinary
intellectual powers, and a warm heart. His sermons were heard gladly
by people of all degrees of intelligence. Though they revealed strong
analytical powers, they were evangelical and practical. The little
children of the Sunday school loved him, and on one Sunday morning
seven of them―little girls―offered themselves for baptism.
Rev. C. D. Graves was chosen for the next pastor. He was a
graduate of the College in the class of 1892, and after attending the
Southern Baptist Theological Seminary he had held pastorates at
Wadesboro, North Carolina, and at Clarksville, Tennessee, and had
done enlistment work for the Foreign Mission Board of the Southern
Baptist Convention. He entered on his services on August 20, 1916,
and served the church in the turbulent years of the first World War.
His sermons were largely doctrinal, sound and constructive, and often
flavored with a touch of patriotic fervor. One of his most appreciated
ministries was to the sick and dying in the epidemic of influenza in
October and November, 1918, from which the students of the College
and the citizens of the town did not escape. In that time of danger both
he and Mrs. Graves did heroic service in nursing those sick with the
disease, visiting them and sitting at their bedside day and night and
ministering to their necessities, when other nurses were not