Religious Life During Poteat's Administration 83
were: J. B. Carlyle, who from the time he became a member of the
faculty in 1887 until shortly before his death in 1911 had probably the
largest classes in the Sunday school; C. E. Brewer, who served as
superintendent, 1889-96, and afterwards with the exception of 1899-
1900, when he was at Cornell University, taught classes until he left
Wake Forest for Meredith in 1915. Dr. J. H. Gorrell did good service
as teacher, but probably his most valuable work for the Sunday school
was as superintendent, 1903-14, in which time he added many to the
number of pupils. Others who have taught for longer or shorter
periods were J. F. Lanneau, G. W. Paschal, B. F. Sledd, E. Walter
Sikes, and E. W. Timberlake, Jr. Other teachers who began their
services in the administration of President Poteat were A. C. Reid,
and D. B. Bryan, who have through the years taught large organized
classes of students. In 1942 Dr. C. B. Earp succeeded Dr. N. Y.
Gulley as teacher of the citizens' class.
For many years the religious activities of the students were in close
connection with the church. They had no organization of their own.
They were expected to attend the church services, including the
prayer meetings and as many of them as were members of the church
attended the church conferences, and served as church officers, and as
delegates to meetings of associations and conventions. The catalogue
of 1878-79, however, shows that they had organized a young men's
prayer meeting which met on Monday evenings. In 1892 a Young
Men's Christian Association was organized among the students,
which sent J. L. Kesler as a delegate to a meeting in Wilmington.
Soon after this Dr. John R. Mott, the national head of the
organization, came to the College and spent several days helping the
students improve their own Association. After three or four years the
organization at the College discontinued, but it was reorganized in the
year 1897-98, and thereafter continued until 1923-24. Perhaps it
reached its highest development in the year 1914-15, when it had
nineteen mission study classes with an enrollment of 250. On October
7 to 11, 1914, Y.M.C.A. organizations of the colleges and high
schools of eastern and central North Carolina held their
Previous Page Next Page