108 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
half of the Baptist churches in the state had made no direct contri-
bution to the building program.
The capital requirement for the new campus, originally envisioned
as $6 million, had now mushroomed to more than $19 million.
Although construction was moving ahead, delays had already forced
the Board of Trustees to announce that relocation could not take place
until the summer of 1956. By that time fourteen buildings were to be
completed―not all that were needed, to be sure, but enough to
provide housing and classroom space, even if somewhat cramped.
The schedule of completion dates for the principal campus build-
ings, to be constructed in a modified Georgian style of old Virginia
brick trimmed with limestone, was as follows: Wait Chapel and the Z.
Smith Reynolds Library, March 1955; the science building, May
1955; all of the dormitories, four for men and two for women, by the
end of August 1955; Reynolda Hall by the end of July 1955; the
William Neal Reynolds Gymnasium, January 1956; and the law
building by the end of March 1956. The boiler plant was to be the first
Dr. Hubert M. Poteat and Dr. Thane McDonald, both expert
organists, had been on a committee which selected and helped design
a four-manual pipe organ to be constructed and installed in the new
chapel by the M. P. Moller Company, Hagerstown, Maryland. Mr.
and Mrs. Walter M. Williams of Burlington picked up the $60,000 tab
for the twenty-five-ton instrument. Mr. Williams was on the Board of
Sallie McCracken, a member of the staff of the North Carolina
Baptist Orphanage at Thomasville, contributed funds for the purchase
and installation of floodlighting for the Wait Chapel tower as a
memorial to Dr. William Louis Poteat, president of the college from
1905 to 1927.
As the buildings took shape William J. Conrad of Winston-Salem,
chairman of the Architect's Committee, said that the college was
"extremely fortunate in being able to plan and construct an entire
campus over a short period of time. Wake Forest's new home will be
one of the most beautiful in the nation and at the same time one of the
most functional and economical to operate."
All of the laboratory equipment, desks, and interior fixtures were to
be new, and students would attend classes initially in the library,