112 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
the rear of the chapel, in the administration building, the law building,
the science building, and the gymnasium. That some departments
would be in temporary quarters indefinitely was best typified by the
theater program, which was to endure makeshift facilities in the
library for twenty years.
The dormitories would house nineteen hundred students with the
two women's buildings accommodating four hundred. The cafeteria in
Reynolda Hall would be able to serve a thousand patrons at a time,
and Wait Chapel was designed as a full-fledged Baptist church with a
seating capacity of twenty-five hundred for those services and other
convocations. The library was planned to house 800,000 volumes,
with special quarters for rare books, periodicals, microfilm, and the
Baptist collection. Its expansion would depend upon the speed with
which facilities could be provided for the nonlibrary functions
initially assigned there.
As part of the landscaping 258 trees and shrubs had been planted.
These included forty-six elms, eighty-two willow oaks, thirty-six pin
oaks, twenty dogwoods, fifteen maples, four chestnut oaks, one water
oak, four magnolias, two beeches, two osmanthus, one horse chestnut,
and one wisteria.
Special arrangements had been made for the disposal of faculty
homes in the town of Wake Forest. The trustees had set up a fund of
$300,000 with which members of the teaching and administrative
staffs were guaranteed the appraised value of their residences. With
that assurance, members of the faculty started building homes on lots
contiguous to the new campus in Winston-Salem. When all the Wake
Forest properties were sold, the college found that the transactions as
a whole had been carried out at a net cost of only five thousand
dollars. In the move most members of the Wake Forest family erected
homes far superior to those they had previously occupied.
In order to allow for the relocation, the calendar for the 1955-56
school year was designed to provide a long summer. There would be
only a one-day break for Thanksgiving 1955, and there would be no
spring holidays in 1956. Final examinations were scheduled from
May 10 to 18 and graduation exercises, May 20 and 21. In a deliber-
ate act of nostalgia, the college chose Dr. Willis R. Cullom, professor
emeritus of religion, to deliver the baccalaureate address and Dr.
Hubert Poteat, a Latin scholar who was one of the most revered