Stability and Growth 161
The president presented his review at a time when he and the Board
of Trustees were heading into confrontations with the convention-
those disheartening debates described earlier. But despite those
clashes, the work of developing the new Wake Forest moved rapidly
ahead. Needed buildings were rising, and there were important gifts
from the Reynolds interests and an upward surge in annual gifts from
alumni.
As has been recounted, the Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation in 1955
increased its annual contribution from $350,000 to $500,000 with the
promise of an additional forty thousand for every million raised by the
convention for capital improvements at Wake Forest. In February
1958 the Mary Reynolds Babcock Foundation and Charles Babcock
gave Reynolda Gardens to the college along with forty thousand in
cash and three thousand shares of Reynolds stock to be used for
improvements and working capital.
The gift was made with the proviso that should the gardens ever
become burdensome to the college, the foundation would take the
property back. In announcing the transfer the donors said, "It is the
purpose and desire of the grantors to enhance the educational facilities
of Wake Forest College, particularly in the field of botany, and to
enhance the cultural services which Wake Forest College is now
rendering to the community and to the state, and to establish
Reynolda Gardens of Wake Forest College."
Total value of the gift was estimated at $600,000.
The gardens, developed as part of the thousand-acre Reynolda
estate in 1917, were laid out by landscape architect Thomas W. Sears
of Philadelphia. Distinguished by lines of weeping cherry trees and
cryptomeria along with dozens of varieties of roses and other flow-
ering plants, trees, and vegetables, the gardens had been a Winston-
Salem showplace and remained open to the public after Wake Forest
took over their care.
In 1962 the Babcock Foundation gave Wake Forest an additional
gift of a hundred acres of the Reynolds property to be used for
expansion of the gardens. The tract extended one-half mile along
Reynolda Road, from the gardens to Coliseum Drive, with one-fifth
of a mile of frontage on Coliseum. Restrictions on the gift forbade use
of the acreage for picnic grounds, athletic contests, amusement
facilities, or sale of food, drink, or other concessions. In July 1965 the
same foundation gave Wake Forest title to the West-
Previous Page Next Page