Stability and Growth 167
Other members of the Reynolds family made gifts to Wake Forest
not included in the foundation totals. In 1965 the four sons of the late
Richard J. Reynolds, Jr. and Elizabeth Dillard Reynolds, as a
memorial to their mother, gave the college the modernistic family
home on Robin Hood Road (locally known as "The Ship"). The
property, valued at $291,000, was used initially as a residence and
guest house, and alumni and development activities were briefly
transferred there.
A year later, in June 1966, the Board of Trustees accepted a gift of
Reynolds stock worth $920,000 from Mrs. Nancy Susan Reynolds,
with the income to be used for library purposes. With the earlier
Western Electric acquisition from the Babcock Foundation, the new
stock provided the library with almost $4.5 million of a planned $7-
million endowment.
Dr. Tribble had been constantly active in drawing the attention of
the Winston-Salem foundations and others to the needs of Wake
Forest, and he had the assistance of skilled personnel on his fund-
raising staff. In Chapter V the members of the early development
operation were mentioned: Loyde O. Aukerman, who as vice pres-
ident in charge of public relations was actually a fund-raiser; Robert
G. Devton, who as vice president and controller was overseer of the
Winston-Salem construction; Rev. Eugene Olive, who had served the
college faithfully in mama ways and most recently edited alumni
publications; and B. Frank Hasty, who served as field agent from
1951 until his retirement in 1964.
Aukerman resigned in June 1954, and Dr. C. Sylvester Green was
brought in as vice president for alumni affairs and public relations.
Green had been a Baptist minister with several important pastorates,
and prior to his Wake Forest appointment, he had been serving the
University of North Carolina as executive vice president of the
Medical Foundation. He remained at Wake Forest until 1958, when
he accepted a development post with William Jewell College in
Missouri.
Deyton, who had seen all the original buildings go up on the
Reynolda campus, resigned in September 1957 to become vice pres-
ident for public relations at Meredith College. Dr. Tribble had high
praise for him, saying that Deyton "combined unusual native ability,
thorough training, and wide experience with aggressiveness and
courage in accomplishing an exceedingly difficult task."
Previous Page Next Page