182 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
terms of the will of Mrs. Earnshaw directed that $10,000 from the sale of
any assets of the remainder of the estate be added to the $40,000 they had
already given. The living example of this couple is one of the finest in the
Shortly after Earnshaw's death, Worth Copeland was elected bursar
and secretary of the Board of Trustees. A native of Ahoskie, Copeland
was a 1939 graduate of Wake Forest and earned a master's degree in
mathematics in 1941. With time out for military service, he had been
an instructor in the Mathematics Department until he joined the
Bursar's Office as assistant to Earnshaw in 1947.
In June 1958 the trustees consolidated the offices of bursar and
treasurer, and Copeland's title was changed to treasurer. T. W.
Brewer, who had been treasurer since 1912, was named treasurer
emeritus. Before the change the Treasurer's Office had been located in
Raleigh and worked with a committee of the trustees in managing the
permanent funds of the college. That function along with the day-to-
day financial operations would henceforth be the responsibility of the
merged Office of the Treasurer.
As assistants, Copeland had James B. Cook, Jr., a Virginian who
had been with the college since 1944 except for a year's absence for
graduate work at the University of North Carolina, and John G.
Williard, a Carolina graduate and CPA, who came into the admin-
istration in 1958. In the early sixties Copeland, who also was serving
as secretary of the Board of Trustees, had health problems, and Cook
was made secretary pro tem, then acting secretary of the board. In
October 1965 Copeland left the employment of the college. Cook,
who held the title of acting business manager, was elected secretary of
the board at that time. When it became clear that Williard was the
choice of the administration to become treasurer, Cook resigned to
accept a position with the Virginia Division of the Budget in
Richmond. He had served the college faithfully as an excellent
steward of its funds, and his friends were sorry to see him go; at the
same time they welcomed Williard, a highly capable man, to the
upper echelons of the college management.
Grady Siler Patterson was the first full-time registrar the college
ever had. Appointed during the presidency of William Louis Poteat,
he served through the administrations of Francis Pendleton