184 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
practice which preserved valuable information when the old College
Building was destroyed by fire in 1933. On the Reynolda campus the
registrar's vault had been designed with a glass window on the
exterior wall. During the campus unrest of the Vietnam War era the
window was covered with a metal sheet.
In 1947 Mrs. Margaret Ruthven Perry, a graduate of the University
of South Carolina and wife of Percival Perry, a member of the history
faculty joined Patterson in the Registrar's Office. She was made the
first assistant registrar in 1948 and associate registrar in 1964. She
proved herself a capable, cheerful administrator, and it was assumed
that she would be appointed registrar when Patterson retired.
The Admissions Office was created by the Board of Trustees on
June 3, 1957, at the recommendation of then Dean William C. Archie,
"to give further and more careful attention to the selection of students
as the pressure of a growing collegiate population continues." Archie
said that the office also would engage in student recruitment and
direct a portion of the scholarship program. In anticipation of the
office's establishment the trustees, five weeks earlier, had appointed
Prof. A. L. Aycock of the English Department as first director of
admissions and had asked him to work out the procedures for the new
administrative branch. Mrs. Shirley Hamrick, who previously had
been assistant to Dean Lois Johnson, was assigned to work with
Aycock. She was the wife of Prof. Willard Hamrick of the Religion
Department. The new office was to function under the direction of a
faculty committee on admissions.
In 1958 William G. Starling, Class of 1957, was named assistant
director of admissions to concentrate on recruitment. A native of
Smithfield, he held a bachelor's degree in business administration
from Wake Forest and had previously worked for the Riegel Textile
Corporation in New York City, South Carolina, and Florida. In 1959-
6o Dr. Louis C. Guenther, former registrar at Mary Washington
College, came to Wake Forest as admissions director, and Professor
Aycock returned to his classroom. Guenther stayed only a year,
though, resigning to accept a similar post at Florida Presbyterian
College. After his departure Starling was made director and Mrs.
Hamrick, his associate
.8
Beginning in 1960 the college required prospective students to
submit Scholastic Aptitude Test scores along with high school
Previous Page Next Page