188 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
That happened in the summer of 1959, when Dr. L. H. Hollings-
worth accepted the position. A native of Greenville, South Carolina,
he called Asheville his home. After attending Gardner-Webb College,
he transferred to Wake Forest and took his bachelor's degree in 1943.
A wartime chaplain, he had held pastorates in Asheville, Raleigh,
Louisburg, Mebane, and Louisiana. Once president of the General
Board of the Baptist State Convention, he had been honored with a
Doctor of Divinity degree by Wake Forest in 1959. Before joining the
college staff, he was pastor of the First Baptist Church in Boone,
where he had worked closely with the 1,250 Baptist students at
Appalachian State Teachers College. In addition to his usual
counseling duties, Hollingsworth was responsible for planning the
twice-weekly chapel programs. His mellow voice became familiar to
thousands of sports fans through his prayers that preceded all Wake
Forest home football games.
One other functionary, not actually a part of the college admin-
istration, deserves mention. Everette C. Snyder, Class of 1927, took
over the management of the College Book Store in 1930, when it was
a one-room operation selling textbooks and supplies in Hunter
Dormitory. After the store was moved to the basement of the Social
Science Building (the old gymnasium) and a fountain was added,
Snyder's place became a favorite student hangout and Snyder himself,
much loved and respected. On the surface a rough, even gruff, man,
he was actually quite soft-hearted and deeply loved Wake Forest and
its people. In 1956 he moved with the college to Winston-Salem for
what he meant to be a short stay; he remained for four years. During
that time he trained Richard T. Clay, a Wake Forest graduate in
business administration who succeeded Snyder when he retired.
Snyder died September 9, 1964, and was widely mourned by students
and alumni.
Previous Page Next Page