198 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
master's and doctoral degrees from the University of Virginia, as well
as a Sc.D. from Bridgewater.
By 1967 the curriculum had undergone extensive change. The de-
velopment of a graduate program in 1961 was to have a significant
impact on the commitment and function of the biology faculty and
research activity, previously limited because of the pressure of huge
teaching loads, was greatly increased and encouraged when the staff
was increased in size during the sixties.
Among those who taught biology at Wake Forest for the period
under study were the following: Ora C. Bradbury, 1925-62; Elton C.
Cocke, 1938- ; Charles M. Allen, 1941- ; Budd E. Smith, 1946-51; H.
Grade Britt, 1947-64; John E. Davis, 1956- ; Raymond L. Wyatt,
1956- ; H. Branch Howe, 1957-59; David W. Johnston, 1959-63;
Robert G. McRitchie, 1959-60; James C. McDonald, 1960- ; John F.
Dimmick, 1961- ; Robert P. Higgins, 1961- ; A. Thomas Olive, 1961-
; Paul B. Sears, 1962-63; Ralph D. Amen, 1962- ; Robert L. Sullivan,
1962- ; Walter S. Flory' 1963- ; Glenn R. Clark, 1964--66; Gerald W.
Esch, 1965- ; and Dale Hein, 1965
As World War II began, the Department of Chemistry was housed
in Lea Laboratory, which had been completed in October 1888 and
was in a considerable state of disrepair. The central section had an
entrance foyer, a storeroom, two balance rooms, and a laboratory for
sixteen students on the first floor. The second floor provided a lecture
room seating sixty-four students, a small storage room, a darkroom,
and a common room for faculty offices. This office space
accommodated four faculty members for most of the years until the
removal of the college to Winston-Salem in 1956. In both wings of
the building were two laboratories, each accommodating twenty-four
In 1948 the former biochemistry laboratory in the basement of the
William Amos Johnson Building, with two good offices, was assigned
to the Chemistry Department. For the next eight years this was used
for the physical chemistry laboratory and for research. By 1956 Lea
Laboratory was in deplorable condition, the floors sag-