200 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
classroom and laboratory instruction. I remember him with great
With the move to Winston-Salem impending, the Chemistry De-
partment worked closely with Architect Jens F. Larson on the plan-
ning of Salem Hall, which was to be the department's new home. It
was a crowded building at first, housing biology and physics as well
as chemistry, but even though there were problems in adequately
furnishing the new structure, the improved facilities were a teaching
The return of Dr. Isbell in the fall of 1957, the addition of Paul M.
Gross, Jr., in the fall of 1959, and the presence in 1961-63 of Prof. N.
Howell Furman, a professor emeritus of Princeton University,
resulted in substantial reductions in teaching loads. The department at
that time had grown to eight full-time faculty members, all of whom
held doctorates from recognized graduate institutions.
Along with several other departments, chemistry resumed graduate
work in 1961. In 1962 Dr. Nowell succeeded Dr. Black as de-
Members of the chemistry faculty for the period covered by this
volume included: C. S. Black, 1919-20, 1925-65; W. J. Wyatt, Jr.,
1924-25, 1928-43; R. Nevill Isbell, 1926-41, 1957-63; John A.
Freeman, 1943-46; James B. Cook, Jr., 1944-46; John W. Nowell, Jr.,
1945- ; James Caret Blalock, 1946-47, 1950- ; Harry B. Miller, 1947;
William A. Powell, 1948-49; Phillip J. Hamrick, 1956- ; Paul M.
Gross, Jr., 1959- ; N. Howell Furman, 1961-63; H. Wallace Baird,
1963- ; James D. Morrison, 1963-65; Keith F. Purcell, 1965-67; and
David R. Eckroth, 1966- .
With the retirement of Dr. George W. Paschal as professor of Greek
in 1940, Dr. Hubert M. Poteat, who was professor of Latin, inspired
his prize pupil of the twenties, Dr. Cronje B. Earp, to return to the
campus. Through the Depression years Earp had taught in New York
while completing his doctorate in Latin at Columbia University He
was awarded the degree in 1939, and despite his concentration in
Latin, it was the Greek program which Poteat entrusted to him. It is
no coincidence that upon Earp's arrival a course called Greek Satire
and Comedy was created on the model of Po-