Things Academic 201
teat's Latin Satire and Comedy, or that the two-semester course,
Greek Civilization, was initiated as a parallel to Poteat's popular
Throughout the forties Poteat and Earp taught Latin and Greek from
their classrooms and offices at the north end of Wait Hall, essentially
alone but with the occasional help of a teaching fellow. Their primary
concern was that modern languages were increasingly substituted as
requirements for graduate and professional study This concern was
reflected in a faculty resolution of November 1942, which said,
"Resolved, that the registrar be requested to write our affiliated
Medical School and ask whether they will accept an ancient language
in lieu of their modern language requirement for entrance."
Two of the prominent majors in the department were John W.
Chandler, who took his degree in Greek in 1945 and later became a
professor of philosophy and president of Williams College, and
Francis Lanneau Newton, a 1947 graduate who received a doctorate at
the University of North Carolina and thereafter taught for many years
at Vanderbilt University.
In 1950-51 two instructors were needed, because Dr. Poteat took
leave to tour for a year as Imperial Potentate of the Ancient Arabic
Order, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, commonly known as the Shrine.
When he returned, he and Earp continued to teach the classics without
help. Upon the move of the college to Winston-Salem in 1956, Poteat
decided to retire, and Earp was invited by President Tribble to find a
replacement. His choice was Carl Harris, a Greek major in the Class
of 1944 who earned a doctorate at Duke University in 1952 and was
teaching religion and Greek at the University of Dubuque in Iowa.
Earp's strategy was to put Harris in charge of the Greek program,
while he took over the Latin classes.
In the fall of 1955 the Greek and Latin departments were consoli-
dated as the Department of Classical Languages and Literature, al-
though a major still could be achieved in either Latin or Greek. Dr.
Earp was named chairman. For the first seven years on the new
campus, the department was housed in the library, with two offices
and two classrooms on the mezzanine and east end of the third floor.
In the summer of 1963 the move was made to Tribble Hall, with
quarters on the third floor of the east wing.
Dr. Paschal died June 13, 1956, at the age of eighty-seven; Dr.