14 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
he has been accustomed to dance with parental approval, and where the
church, of which he and his parents are active members, has at least ex-
pressed no disapproval, he discovers that this particular form of social
activity is not permitted at the college. The college can and does explain
why no dances are held on the campus. But the college has not felt that it
could rightly regulate the conduct of its students away from the campus by
placing upon them restrictions which their parents and their churches at
home are unwilling to impose upon them.
Enrollment for the fall term of 1944 was 756 with 555 on the
Wake Forest campus, 10 at the Duke-Wake Forest Law School, and
191 at Bowman Gray. Of the campus total, 125 were women, and
the freshman class of 313 was the largest in history. By the start of
the spring term in January 1945, enrollment had dropped to 361 in
the undergraduate school. There had been changes in the faculty,
too. Dr. Herman Parker, assistant professor of physics, and Dr.
Walter J. Wyatt, head of the Chemistry Department, left to join
government agencies. Dr. Dale Stansbury, dean of the Law School,
left to become a professor of law at the University of Tennessee and
was succeeded by Prof. Herbert R. Baer as acting dean. Prof. E. W.
Timberlake was also teaching law, Dr. Everett Gill was assisting in
the Religion Department, Thomas Arrington, Jr., was helping out in
math, and James B. Cook, Jr., was an instructor in chemistry.
The Wake Forest staff had not changed very much. Ethel Taylor
Crittenden was librarian, and she was assisted by Mrs. E. E. Folk,
Laura Fleming, and Ellen W. Ewing. Mrs. E. B. Earnshaw and Mrs.
E. C. Cocke were in the bursar's office, and assisting Registrar Pat-
terson were Winifred Royall and Mrs. Thane McDonald. Mrs. R. S.
Pritchard was secretary to President Kitchin, and Georgia Godfrey
was Dean Bryan's secretary. Over at the infirmary, under the
supervision of college physician Dr. George C. Mackie, two nurses,
Betty Staymates and Mrs. Altha Smith Satterwhite, were looking
after students with health problems ranging from the sniffles to
influenza and sprained ankles.
January of 1944 saw the return of the campus and all its buildings
to the exclusive use of the college. On the fifteenth of the month the
last units of the Army Finance School departed for Fort Benjamin
Harrison, Indiana, and Wake Forest was no longer "occupied
territory," a term used by the students. The withdrawal took place