204 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
State Department of Public Instruction, twenty were county super-
intendents, fifteen were city superintendents, and one hundred thirty-
five were principals. Wake Forest had alumni at work in eighty-one of
the state's hundred counties.
In 1963 the Education Department moved its offices and equipment
into the new classroom building, later to be named Harold W. Tribble
Hall. The offices were on the ground floor of the east wing, and under
the supervision of Dr. Preseren, a Media Center which had been
established in the late forties was expanded and well housed. It
became an important part of the total educational program of the
The services of two members of the staff should not be overlooked.
Georgia Godfrey served as secretary of the department for thirty-five
years on the old campus, and Mrs. Betty Veach became the
departmental factotum in 1964.
With the arrival of the Army Finance School on the old campus in
the fall of 1942, the English Department was moved out of its
customary quarters in the Alumni Building into temporary space in
Wait Hall and, as suggested in Chapter I, the war-reduced faculty
functioned as best it could. M. Johnson Hagood was wearing the
uniform of an army captain, and Zon Robinson, a speech specialist
and debate coach, was away on that military errand during which he
would vanish completely. During 1943 seniors Edwin G. Wilson and
Roberts C. Lasater helped out in freshman English, but the bulk of the
teaching load was carried by older men: Dr. H. B. Jones, chairman
since 1938; Dr. E. E. Folk, director of the journalism program but also
a specialist in Chaucer; Prof. A. L. Aycock, who was teaching some
art appreciation courses in addition to his English assignments; Dr.
Max L. Griffin, who was appointed in 1933 and taught intermittently
until he received his doctorate from the University of North Carolina
in 1942; and a relative newcomer, Prof. D. A. Brown, who had joined
the department in 1941.
Chairman Jones was a 1910 graduate of Wake Forest and had
earned his master's and doctoral degrees from the University of
Chicago. Before joining the Wake Forest faculty in 1924 he had been
an instructor in Latin and head of the English Department at