Things Academic 205
Cullowhee Normal School for five years, followed by three years at
Simpson College, where he headed the English Department. At Wake
Forest Dr. Jones was made chairman of the English Department in
1938 on the retirement of Dr. Benjamin F. Sledd. Jones's sly readings
of A Christmas Carol were for many years a Yuletide treat.
Dr. Folk, Class of 1921, had earned his master's degree at Columbia
University and the doctorate at George Peabody College. Before
turning to teaching he had worked on The (Nashville) Tennessean,
Mobile Register, Norfolk Virginian-Pilot, Macon Telegraph, Newark
Ledger, and New York Herald. He taught journalism at Mercer
University and English at Oklahoma Baptist University before joining
the Wake Forest faculty in 1936.
Professor Aycock was also an alumnus of Wake Forest, Class of
1926. He received his master's degree at Tulane University in 1928
after an earlier year of teaching English and Latin in the public
schools of Selma, Alabama. In 1928 he joined the English faculty at
Wake Forest for the remainder of his teaching career. In the early
thirties he spent several summers at Harvard University taking the art
courses which later enabled him to teach art appreciation classes at
Wake Forest. He was also museum curator, debate and drama coach,
and the first admissions officer.
Brown, who was to become a permanent member of the staff and
continue through the Tribble years, was a 1924 graduate of the Uni-
versity of North Carolina, where he earned his master's degree in
1932. He had taught at Carolina, the University of Mississippi, Tulane
University, and The Citadel before coming to Wake Forest. He was a
dedicated worker who agonized in his efforts to be fair in grading test
papers, and his deep sense of integrity often made him the conscience
of the English faculty.
Upon the departure of the Finance School in January 1944, the
department reoccupied its space in the crumbling old Alumni
Building. Physics was on the ground floor, and English had offices
and classrooms on the second and third floors. These were accessible
only by a rattling wooden staircase; anyone ascending was sure to
disrupt any classes in progress. Dr. Jones and Dr. Folk had miniscule
offices on the third floor, and Mr. Aycock was assigned a room at the
head of the second-floor stairs. The rest of the staff and any assistants
shared a common room on the third floor. With enrollment beginning
to grow in the GI resurgence in 1945, Dr.