206 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
Henry L. Snuggs, a Wake Forest alumnus who held a Duke doctorate,
joined the department. He had taught at Elon College from 1931 to
1936 and at Oklahoma Baptist University from 1936 until his Wake
Forest appointment. Just before Snuggs arrived, Max Griffin left to go
to Tulane University. Beulah Lassiter, who was acting as assistant
dean of women while working on a master's in English, took over
several freshman sections, and Tal Bradford White, a Carolina
graduate, arrived to teach dramatics and play production, then under
the wing of the English Department. White stayed only a year, leaving
to do graduate work.
In the fall of 1946 Beulah Lassiter became a full-time instructor. A
graduate of East Carolina Teachers College, she would make a career
at Wake Forest. She also was the central figure in the first faculty
wedding when she became the bride of K. T. Raynor of the
Mathematics Department on August 9, 1947. Arriving in the fall of
1946 were instructors Justus C. Drake, who held the bachelor's and
master's degrees from Wake Forest, and Edwin G. Wilson, returned
from naval service. Part-time instructors were Mrs. Titus C. Wil-
liamson and George Watkins III. Wilson, who was planning post-
graduate work with every intention of returning to Wake Forest as a
permanent member of the faculty, left for Harvard University in the
fall of 1947.
Professor Aycock was coaching the debate squad and looking for a
promising successor in that duty, which he had undertaken tem-
porarily but with great success. On the debate circuit he had met
Franklin Shirley, then an associate professor at Carson-Newman
College in Jefferson City, Tennessee. Their teams competed often,
and the two men held each other in mutual respect. Aycock prevailed
upon Shirley to accept an appointment as speech instructor at Wake
Forest, with teaching assignments not only in speech but also in
theater production. Until that time the Little Theater had had little
faculty supervision, although under student leadership it was staging
four plays a year. Dr. Jones, Drake, and Prof. Charles M. Allen of the
Biology Department helped Shirley give more faculty support to the
thespians.
Speech and theater remained a part of the English Department until
1961, when the faculty approved separate status for speech (a history
of that department is presented later). In the interim, members of the
English Department recruited for debate, speech, and
Previous Page Next Page