Things Academic 211
by Kenneth Keeton, a Georgetown graduate who went on to earn his
doctorate at the University of North Carolina. Keeton stayed until
196o, although he was on leave part of that time. Wilmer D. Sanders,
a graduate of Muhlenberg College with a master's degree from
Indiana, joined the staff in 1954. After three years as an instructor, he
left to work toward his doctorate at Indiana, returning in 1964. Ralph
S. Fraser, who held a doctorate from Illinois and who was to become
a fixture in the German Department, joined the staff in 1962.
Upon the move to Winston-Salem the German classrooms and such
offices as could be provided were in the library, which in those early
years on the new campus sheltered many disciplines. When Tribble
Hall was completed the department moved to the third floor of the
west wing, with a library and seminar room in the transverse section.
In 1958 a chapter of Delta Phi Alpha, honorary German fraternity,
was established, and it ventured into journalism with the biannual
publication of the German language Wake-Forester Beitrage, a ve-
hicle for scholarly papers, translations, and self-expression. On the
Winston-Salem campus the German Department has sponsored travel
abroad by groups of students as well as a highly successful student
exchange program with the Free University of Berlin.
Members of the German faculty from 1943-1967 included the fol-
lowing: Robert Browning, 1941-43 C. A. Krummel, spring 1947;
James C. O'Flaherty, 1947- ; R. Johnson Watts, 1947-51; Kenneth
Keeton, 1951-60; Wilmer D. Sanders, 1954-57, 1964- ; and Ralph S.
In 1943 the department later to be designated the Department of
History was known as the Department of Social Science, because for
some years before and several years afterward it was responsible for
the teaching not only of history but also of political science,
sociology, economics, and business administration. Majors were of-
fered in history-government, business administration, and sociology,
but for the latter two disciplines some prescribed courses were drawn
from other departments.
Under the chairmanship of Dr. C. C. Pearson, the Social Science