214 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
partment in 1956, by which time it was located in the library on the
Reynolda campus. Tillett had done his undergraduate work at Carson-
Newman College and received a master's degree from Columbia
University in 1950. While teaching at Carson-Newman in 1955, he
was awarded the doctorate by the University of North Carolina.
Tillett's wife Anne joined the Wake Forest faculty as a language
Thomas E. Mullen, a 1950 graduate of Rollins College who held a
master's from Emory University and was working toward his doc-
torate there, was employed in 1957. Mullen had been a graduate
assistant in history at Emory from 1950 to 1953 and was a Fulbright
scholar at the University of London in 1955-56. His Wake Forest
classes were quickly distinguished by his droll wit.
Dr. Balkrishna G. Gokhale was assigned to the department in 1960
as head of the Asian Studies program, which is discussed later in this
chapter. In the fall of 1961 two permanent members were added to the
staff, J. Edwin Hendricks, Jr., and Richard C. Barnett. Hendricks was
a graduate of Furman University who had earned his doctorate at the
University of Virginia. Barnett, married to Dr. Tribble's daughter
Betty May, was a Wake Forest alumnus completing studies for the
doctorate at the University of North Carolina.
Richard L. Zuber, a graduate of Appalachian with a Duke doctorate,
was appointed in 1962, and the following year James P. Barefield,
with the bachelor's and master's degrees from Rice University, was
recruited. Upon Merrill Berthrong's appointment as director of
libraries in 1964, Barefield was made associate professor of history.
James G. McDowell, a Colgate graduate with a doctorate from Johns
Hopkins, joined the staff in 1965, as did J. Howell Smith, a Baylor
alumnus with a master's from Tulane.
In 1965 Dr. Htin Aung, a Burmese educator with worldwide aca-
demic credentials, joined Dr. Gokhale as a visiting scholar in Asian
Studies. When he and his wife hiked across the campus, generally
holding an umbrella as protection from the sun, Wake Forest took on
an international flavor.
David W. Hadley, a Wake Forest graduate with a master's from
Harvard, joined the staff in 1966, and in that year Frederick L.
Bronner, who held a Harvard doctorate and had taught for many years
at Union College, was a part-time visiting professor.
Others who taught history briefly over the years included the