220 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
On the old campus the classes, practice rooms, studios, and offices
were located in the Music and Religion Building completed in 1942.
The walls had not been soundproofed, and the confusion of sounds
issuing from the building was admittedly a campus nuisance. As
facilities for musical instruction, the rooms were only marginally
adequate. When the new Chapel was dedicated in 1949 a Baldwin
electric organ was installed for the occasion. The trustees later bought
it, and it was the only organ owned by the college until the move to
Winston-Salem. However, the pipe organ in the Wake Forest Baptist
Church located at the edge of the old campus was available for
recitals, and McDonald used it in teaching students that instrument.
Gradually other instructors were added, some part-time, as demand
for broader training grew. Some of these were Clara Allen, 1948-50,
and Clifford Bair, 1949-61, in voice; Madge H. Easley, 1948-57,
piano; Claude Cook, 1947-51, and Christopher Giles, 1951- , piano
and theory; William Parham, 1949-53, and Angelo Capparella, 1953-
58, band directors; and Paul Robinson, 1952- , organ and church
music.
Following the move to the new campus, the Music Department was
housed in Wingate Hall along with the Philosophy, Religion, and
Sociology departments, and the conditions for teaching music were
little better than they had been before. Rooms used during weekdays
for practice and teaching were used on Sundays as Sunday School
classrooms for the Wake Forest Baptist Church, whose sanctuary was
the adjoining Wait Chapel. The Music Department was to wait for
decades before getting adequate teaching and recital facilities, and
they would not be provided during the Tribble era.
With the move a number of specialists in music performance were
added to the faculty, considerably strengthening the quality of
instruction. Among those were Lucille Sawyer Harris, 1957- , and
Marjorie Felmet, 1964- , piano; Ethel Kalter, 1961- , voice; and
Emerson Head, 1958-62, and Calvin Huber, 1962- , instrumental
music. Head and Huber were also directors of the marching band.
Over the years one of Professor McDonald's prides was a touring
College Choir which he organized in 1948 with thirty-seven student
voices selected from the larger Glee Club. The first year it traveled
nine hundred miles and gave about thirty concerts. In figures he
Previous Page Next Page