Things Academic 227
and construction of the William Neal Reynolds Gymnasium, which
would be their new home in Winston-Salem.
Coinciding with the move was a growing recognition that the
expanded programs in health, physical education, and recreation
required a department separate from the intercollegiate athletic
program. At the recommendation of President Tribble, the Board of
Trustees approved that division on September 14, 1956. Long
resigned almost at the same time to become athletic director at the
University of Toledo, and Harold Barrow was named chairman of the
new department. While several coaches were given dual appointments
and promoted within the Department of Physical Education, the full-
time staff consisted of Barrow, Crisp, Casey, and N. Taylor Dodson,
who joined the faculty in 1957 after serving as an adviser in physical
education to the State Department of Public Instruction. Dodson, a
Chapel Hill graduate, earned his doctorate at the University of
Indiana.
In 1964 Gene Hooks, by then an associate professor, was named
director of athletics.
At the end of the Tribble era two semesters of basic physical edu-
cation were still required of all students, and many added to their
athletic skills from an array of elective specialties that included golf,
tennis, badminton, dance, gymnastics, archery, bowling, swimming,
weight training, handball, squash, and fencing.
Physics
14
From the forties through the fifties and into the sixties, no branch of
the instruction program underwent greater change than the Physics
Department. World War II had seen the development of the atomic
bomb, the dawn of the missile age, and the space programs that grew
out of it, as well as the electronic wizardry that gave birth to
computerization. As the field of applied physics grew in all these
directions, so did the department, not only in the courses offered but
also in the specialists hired to teach them.
In the early forties Dr. William E. Speas, chairman since 1932, was
the moving spirit of the department as well as the inspiration for
generations of students, who referred to him as "Old Bill." Early in his
chairmanship, after the burning of Wingate Hall in 1934, he had been
assigned cramped quarters on the ground floor of the Alumni
Previous Page Next Page